Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Bluefish Blitze at Sandy Hook

Sandy Hook,NJ Fishing Report 9/26/2012: Sunday Tracy and I went down to Sandy Hook for a day fishing and fun at the beach. Arriving on the scene It was apparent that the surf was just loaded with peanut bunker and other bait fish. No sooner then did the bluefish show up in classic fashion. It was your typical beach blitze with fish breaking water and a tremendous amount of bird play. As you can imagine just about any lure caught the 2-3 lb choppers and you could've loaded up if you were willing to follow them up the beach.

Tracy and I caught a couple and of course we released them. Tried throwing clams out for the Stripers, but they only met with some hungry sea robins.

I hope to fish in Long Island Sound this weekend up by Hammonasset Beach State Park in Connecticut. I'm hoping I can find some surf clams before then.

Time will tell!
Always fun, always an adventure!
Tom

2 comments:

  1. Tom,

    I have visited the Ramapo river a couple of times with no luck. As a beginner to fishing, I kind of expect it.

    Is it very crowded at Sandy Hook? I wouldn't mind traveling down there but as a beginner, I don't want to bother the regulars.

    Thank you,
    Jax

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jax,

      The Ramapo is best during the spring from 2nd week of April to mid June after the spring trout stocking, it then gets low and warm in the summer. There is one stocking in the fall and I believe its on Friday October 12th. So it can be interesting in October as well. Try a gold bladed roostertail with brown body for fall trout.

      As for Sandy Hook, there is plenty of space but sometimes you have to walk up the beach a little to get away from the easy access areas. I recommend cloudy rainy days during October and November as those days have always been the best for me when fishing stripers. Blues dont really have a weather preference and they could show just about anytime. You might want to consider the tides when planning your trip. I like to arive about three hours prior to high tide and fish all the way to 3 hours past high tide as a general rule. I have had stripers bite regardless of tides but they again seem to be better on cloudy or rainy days.

      Good Luck and Enjoy!
      Tom

      Delete