Sunday, October 7, 2012

Sandy Hook, NJ: False Albacore Fun


Sandy Hook, NJ Fishing Report 10/7/2012: Today Tracy and I started out for Sandy Hook at about 8am figuring on catching the last 3 hours of the incoming tide. I was hoping that the cold front that came through last night would wake up the stripers today but that was just not gonna happen. Water temperatures are still way high to really get em going strong in the surf.

There was a good amount of baitfish in the surf but not as densely packed as it was on my last trip two weeks ago. The only thing hitting on them were false albacore and let me tell ya they were jumping all around us.

So after catching nothing but sea robins on bait I decided to toss out some metals to try and catch one of those speedy albies and boy was I rewarded.

I tied on a Run Off Lure Co. 2oz chrome sand eel and started casting. Remember that when fishing for false albacore you have to retrieve your lure as fast as you can possibly crank your reel! So on my third cast the first one hit! Let me tell you when an albie hits its like throwing your line out to catch a commuter train and then its off to the races.

After a few blistering runs and a trip down the beach I finally banked the critter and was just absolutely thrilled. The day would produce 2 other hits one I caught and the other I lost shortly after I hooked it.


Also worthy of note was catching a good sized fluke which thanks to the state regulations, I was forced to release.

Anyhow, next weekend is trout time on Saturday and if I can convince my Tracy, back to Sandy Hook on Sunday.




Till then keep it reel!

Tommy

2 comments:

  1. you are the man, I feel like its rare to get them from the beach

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a fun day indeed! I wish I could've got down there more this year.

    ReplyDelete