Sunday, May 20, 2012

Musconetcong Magic

     Hey folks, this week we decided to give the Ramapo a break and head out west a little. We fished the Musconetcong River on Saturday and had an interesting day. First of all, it seems like the fishing pressure has layed off abit as I think we saw only 5 or 6 other anglers fishing in a 4 mile stretch of freshly stocked river.
     Our first stop was below the bridge at Point Mountain Road. We fished from there down stream about a half of mile and did not find any fish. Next stop was up river back behind the River Star Diner. We hiked about a quarter mile downstream and found a quiet secluded stretch.
     By about 3 o'clock we started to see some fish rise and after lot of casting I nailed the first trout of the day with a brown roostertail. Next it was Tracy's turn and before you know it the fishing was on. We started working our way back up river and found ourselves in the middle of the river surrounded by rising trout. In the end we each caught 5 trout. Tracy caught and released a nice 14 inch brown as well as a chunky rainbow. I got a fair sized brook trout and 4 other rainbows.
     All in all a nice day of fishing. Hopefully we will get some more rain this week. As June approaches I will be winding down on the trout fishing and hope to get some more time on the lakes. Til next time like they always say... "Keep a tight line"  

4 comments:

  1. I believe I passed you Standing on the bridge 10:30am @ Ramapo Reservation. I was walking with another fly fisherman back to the car. You had on a blue shirt and hat. No Fishing today! Was that you? If my memory is good. the guy in the photos below as there today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, no today I was not at the river as work and school had the best of me. Anyway I dont normally trout fish in the summer as catch and release becomes catch and watch fish die as trout dont particularly like the warmer water temps.
    Hope to be out in the fall again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beginner with no experience here. Just read your blog and excited to visit some of these locations. Thank you and keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Sorry I haven't been at this for a while, been busy with college and work. I will back in full swing again for the fall trout stocking. Till then enjoy the warm weather while it lasts!

    ReplyDelete