Sunday, May 5, 2013

Connecticut's Salmon River Trout 5/5/2013

Howdy Folks!

Rainbow Trout 

I would just like to start out by saying what a beautiful day it was today! The only thing missing was my Tracy who was stuck at home doing schoolwork. :( Anyhow, I couldn't resist the urge to cast a line and all I can say was I am glad I did just that!
 
Today I decided to head out to the Salmon River this morning and upon arriving I was surprised to see a rather light crowd. I'd say I may have seen about 12 people on the whole 1/4 mile stretch that I fished today. Well it certainly wasn't for any lack of fish because there were plenty to catch!


On the first hole I fished, one of the 12 people I saw decided that he was gonna just jump right on top of me and fish the same spot. I mean really he came from upstream and got in the water maybe 8 feet away from me and started casting literally on top of me. Then the jackass had the nerve to catch a fish and lay claim that his salmon eggs were the bait of choice! We'll I took care of that real quick! After moving about 5 yards away from him I caught two in a row on worms. Who had the better bait now?



Beyond mister non-courteous, everyone else I talked to were very nice and I even pointed out where some fish were laying to a couple of youngsters in the hope that they would catch.


Atlantic Salmon Parr 
All in all I caught 8 trout total with 5 being rainbows and 3 browns. Also in the mix today were plenty of 6 to 7 inch Atlantic Salmon Parr who just couldn't resist a fat juicy worm! All participating fish were released with sore jaws and a story to tell their friends!
 
The Salmon River was teaming with life today with all kinds of minnows, river chubs and insect life. I hope next time to see some surface activity in the hope that I can drag the fly rod out for some dry fly fun!
 
Oh well, I'm back in Jersey this week and I have at least one trip to the Ramapo planned and next weekend I will be back at the Jersey shore for some more action on Great Bay.
 
Keepin it Reel
Tommy

No comments:

Post a Comment