Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Scarlet Oak Pond Bass Fishing 5/8/2013

Hello Again!

Largemouth Bass at Ramapo Reservation
As if I don't fish enough! Today's rainy weather had me in a bass fishing mood and so be it I did indulge. I headed up to Mahwah to fish Scarlet Oak Pond on the Ramapo Reservation. I have always seen a lot of big bass in that pond but rarely do you see someone catch. I guess the serious bass anglers head out to where they can put a boat in as there are no boats allowed here.
 
Rain has a tendency to get largemouth bass real hungry and feeding on top. So instinctively I went down to Dick's sporting goods and got me some jitterbugs, a popper or two and an array of plastic worms. Needless to say...  as soon as I arrived at the park the rain stopped! Go figure!!!
 
Anyhow, after a futile attempt of fishing jitterbugs, I switched to plastic worms. In particular, I like to use a purple worm with a hot pink or blaze orange fire tail. I simply threaded it on to a weed-less hook and cast it out with no weight. After letting it settle to the bottom I would simply raise the rod up reel in about three feet and drop it back. I like to let the line just lay on the surface and watch it for movement.
 
After the first half hour of fishing my Tracy called.  I cant tell you how many times she calls and no sooner I get a bite! I think she infuses me with hillbilly karma and some how the fish know it! Nevertheless my line started moving and upon setting the hook, I landed the first of three bass. None of them were real monsters, all about a foot or so long, but they certainly were fun on my light spinning tackle.
 
After about two hours total of fishing I called it quits. No sooner then I get back on the road what happens? IT STARTS RAINING AGAIN! ....DANG! Oh well like they say that's life! All in all it still was a fun afternoon of fishing.
 
Keep'n it reel!
Tommy


2 comments:

  1. Fishing is one of the most popular outdoor activities in America.

    Alaska Fishing Trip

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was there yesterday 11/30/2019. Wasn't planning on fishing. Cold and bright sun. Caught a really nice pickerel on a shad dart of all things. Pleasant surprise!

    ReplyDelete