Saturday, June 11, 2011

Dismal Day in Roscoe, NY

Catskills fishing report 6/10/11: I dont even know where to begin. I guess I will start at the Sunoco station convienience store where I usually pick up a couple of slabs of beef jerky. Yesterday it was dryer than a cedar plank! You could've made a briefcase out of it!

On a good note, the weather was just absolutely gorgeous. The Beaverkill was very wadeable and the water temps were in the mid 60's.

We started out at Junction Pool in Roscoe just to try to get some fish at the end of our lines and man did we have to work for them. Tracy caught her first trout on a fly rod using a olive spinner, and as the day progressed I found some fish sipping the banks and caught two on a size 16 black ant. And that was pretty much it! We tried worms and hardly got a bite. There were plenty of fish around but they were as locked jawed as a machinists vice.

After lunch we took a ride to the West Branch of the Delaware, and fished Hales Eddy. We fished worms there and after a dismal two hours we had one bite and one fish. Mind you Hales Eddy and Junction Pool are usually places we kick the hell out of them with worms.... AND TODAY DAMN NEAR NOTHING!

Leaving there and looking forward to the evening hatch and rising fish, we headed back to the Beaverkill. We hit the big pool below Junction pool and waited for the hatch to start.... and waited and waited!!!! If I saw three sulphers and one or two spinners that would be an overstatement. There was no rises at all! It was as dead as my beef jerky!

Overall the fishing was a huge let down. Oh well I hope perhaps with the rain and cooler temperatures we have today I might get another shot at trout fishing.

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to go after those trout again!

    ReplyDelete