Friday, April 13, 2012

Social Trout Fishing 4/13/2012

     Can you say people? Today was a beautiful spring day and of course I took to the Ramapo for another round of trout hurt'n! I was really amazed at the turnout of people today and was happy to see many father & son fishing teams. I think I spent half the day telling fish stories and hearing folks lament about the lack of rain. I enjoyed the interaction and just want to say for the most part everyone was friendly and completely unstressed!
     As for the fishing? Well after yesterdays fresh load of hatchery fish you can imagine it was pretty good especially early in the day. Right out the gate I brought 7 rainbow trout to the net fishing just above Halifax Road. The rest of the afternoon the bite slowed down however I caught 2 additional rainbows and 1 brook trout at the Reservation as well as down behind the Oakland Recreation Complex respectively. 
     I talked to a bird watcher today and he pointed out a Lousiana Waterthrush nesting on the river bank. I also noted alot of hairy, downy and red-bellied woodpeckers as well as 2 belted kingfishers. Plenty of Palm warblers hanging about the field around Halifax Road as well as your usual cast of sparrows, robins and such. If anyone is interested in spotting wood ducks they seem to be spread out all along the length of the Ramapo River in groups of 2 to 6  individuals.
     Oh well, hope to get out again this weekend with Tracy perhaps Sunday a trip to the Musconetcong River if I feel the ambition to travel. Til then stay tuned! 

3 comments:

  1. Why do you release the fish from Ramapo river? Are the fishes polluted?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I release everything for the most part just for the sake of preservation. However I do keep one or two for Mama now and then. The Ramapo is not polluted for the most part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tommype5 and keep the good work with your fishing reports.

    ReplyDelete