Friday, April 20, 2012

Week 3 Trout Season: Paulinskill, Blairstown, NJ

     For starters yet another gorgeous spring day! Today was originally supposed to start with at trip to Roscoe, NY and a day of fly fishing on the Beaverkill. Needless to say that did not happen. After my trunk release mechanism on my car came loose, I had to make an emergency repair. So instead of Roscoe, our first stop was Home Depot for a couple of nuts and bolts. A few turns of a screw driver and a wrench made for a permanent fix and it was finally fishing time! Since it got a little late in the morning, we decided to hold off on Roscoe and headed out to Blairstown to fish the Paulinskill River.
     Our first stop was in the little park along 94 by the Blairstown diner. Walking downstream of the crowds we found a nice deep pool and I got a fat brook trout and a nice size rainbow. Next Tracy picked up a rainbow. Then I got another brookie after moving down stream a bit. Upon turning around to head back to the car, I came accross a foreign fella proudly sporting a stringer full of suckers! I guess to each his own, he seemed happy to have a meal but I can't imagine how their gonna taste....my guess is a resounding YUCK!
     We then headed west on 94 and took a left down Lambert Road and followed the river along Gwinnup and Sipley Roads. There were some nice stretches of river back there however with the low water conditions you really had to work to find fish. After walking downstream about a 10th of a mile, I got another two rainbows and a brookie. Not a bad day of fishing overall for me at least. Tracy just didnt have her mojo going today but she caught plenty of little small mouth bass and chubs to at least keep the rod bending a bit. I also got my fair share of warm water fish and noteably had one nice small mouth that just fought like hell on my ultra light.
     I wanted so bad to fly fish for a while, however after ariving on the river, I realized I had left my three boxes of flies home so it was another day of worms and roostertails.
     Might get out tomorrow for a bit before the big rain thats supposed to show on Sunday. I hope the weatherman is right on that because our rivers really really need it! Keep your fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment