Monday, April 15, 2013

Good Day on the Ramapo 4/15/2013

Hi Everyone,

Rainbow Trout
Rainbow Trout 4/15/2013
After my past few trips on the Ramapo with catches in the 1 and 2's I finally had a decent day. Today I fished just below the 287 bridge in Mahwah and came up with 4 brook trout and a 15 inch fat rainbow trout pictured to the right.

I will tell you what, its been a long time since I have had a fresh water fish strip line off the reel like that rainbow did. The fish took a worm and upon setting the hook, took off upstream against the current! Now I set my drag to about half the line strength and I had to still run up river to chase after it. Just when I thought it was tired, it made one more made dash this time downstream and once again there I was chasing it.

This time of trout season the state stocks more brook trout then anything else so I am not certain if this was a hold over or just surplus. I did not note any clipped fins. Nevertheless this put a little spice into the day.

All trout were released with minimal harm and are there for the next angler to enjoy. It is always my hope that the next person to catch a nice fish I release will be a little kid just taking his first trip. That helps big time to keep them interested.

Anyway I will be out again somewhere perhaps tomorrow again.

Til then
Keep it Reel!
Tommy



No comments:

Post a Comment