Saturday, April 20, 2013

Opening Day on the Natchaug River Connecticut

Brown Trout from the Natchaug River, Eastern Ct.
To start I must say what a crowd! It seemed like everyone went fishing today here in Eastern Connecticut. It was nice to see entire families making a day of it in Nautchaug State Forest. There were barbeques going everywhere and kids with that wide-eyed look of anticipation running up and down the bank of the river. Even some of the women were out trying there luck on fishing. Overall a great day just to be out in the woods along a beautiful trout stream.

For me, I need space to roam the river. I left the State Park area and drove up 198 and came upon an area being lightly fished. That is pretty much were I stayed for the afternoon. After using a roostertail for the first 45 minutes I switched to bait and immediately had bites. I caught 4 trout total, one brookie, a rainbow and 2 browns. None of the other 5 people near me had so much as a bite. Everyone else was using worms as well.

The day was cool as well as  breezy and the Natchaug River was running cold and clear with increased flows from last nights rain. I almost broke out the fly rod today but I was lazy and I just wanted to catch fish.

All fish were returned to the river and are there for the next person to enjoy.

Might try again tomorrow so stay tuned!

3 comments:

  1. This is good news for you and other anglers:

    May 1, 2013, Sandy Hook beach area reopens

    http://www.myfoxny.com/story/22131686/sandy-hook-beach-area-reopens

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is good news indeed!!! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete