Tuesday, April 9, 2013

First Trip Ramapo Reservation 4/9/2013

Hi Folks!

I finally got out to wet a line today and what a beautiful day it was! It was nice to be out without a jacket for once and just enjoy the warmth of the day. Fishing was slow today at least for me. I managed to catch my first trout of the season but that was about it. I hooked and lost another trout later in the day and that ended it for me.

Worthy of note was the stone fly hatch today. There were hundreds of them flying about the river. I spotted several trout rising for them as well. With that kind of insect activity its not hard to imagine why us bait dunkers didnt fare to well today. I'm gonna return to the river tomorrow and perhaps try my luck with the fly rod.

Lastly, I spotted several huge large mouth bass in the slower parts of the river on the north side of the reservation. One of those fish was easily plus 4 lbs. I suspect a crayfish or plastic frog might have gotten their attention. I didnt want to tempt them with my ultralight trout rod today as fighting a beast like that on my ultra-lite trout gear would've resulted in stretched line or a fish swimming away with a broke off lure in its mouth!

Anyway, I will post again after my next outing.

Enjoy
Tommy

No comments:

Post a Comment