Friday, May 6, 2011

Awsome Day on Connecticut's Salmon River!!!

Slicing its way through Eastern Connecticut is the Salmon River. I dont know all the specifics as to where it begins or ends but a great stretch crosses under Rt 16 with good fishing on both sides of the bridge. The northern stretch above Rt 16 is fly fishing only with only a small portion near the bridge being open to all anglers. The area south of the bridge flows into Salmon River State Forrest and has plenty of access to fish with any method. This is a spring time fishery as the locals tell me the river gets quite low in the summer doldrums.

Connecticut Fishing Report 05/06/2011: Today I fished the Salmon River just outside of Colchester CT in East Hampton CT. What a day it was as I caught three really nice fish among the nine total that I nabbed throughout the day! The breakdown was 3 browns and 6 rainbows. I had one brown estimated to be about 20 inches long with a hooked jaw and another about 18 inches. I also took a nice rainbow about 17 inches all on a brown roostertail. All the rest of the fish were roughly 12 inches or less. I managed a brown and a rainbow as well as a small salmon parr on the fly rod using a size 6 brown maribou muddler. Pictured below is the big brown with me smiling as I heft him up!


Here is the big rainbow


Here is the other big brown





1 comment: