Friday, May 20, 2011

High water trout fishing at the Ramapo

New Jersey Trout Fishing Report 05/20/2011: Ok I couldn't resist and after completing training today for my new job, I went home grabbed a rod and headed for the river. The water was running high and fast still but the fish were on! I fished the Ramapo Reservation just around the bridge and managed a catch of 6 browns all on Berkley Gulp worms and roostertails. I caught some of these fish where I would normally be walking on land! With the high water the fish were hanging close to the banks in the slower waters. I watched them actively feeding on nats, ants and some small caddis. I wish I brought the fly rod today as that may have turned out to be a bonanza. Can't wait to fish again next week.

3 comments:

  1. Great job catching those little worm eaters!! Unbelievable that they were biting with the river flowing so rapidly! Here's to more happy fishing and catching! :D

    ReplyDelete