Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Back at the Ramapo!

New Jersey trout fishing report 5/23/2011: You may wonder why I have primarily fished the Ramapo and Salmon River's this year. The simple reason is time and timing. Between school and now having a day job again has really knocked down my fishing time. My best day that I go is Friday and my other favorite rivers are closed for stocking. During the week, the Ramapo is about a 20 minute ride to get to so I go there alot. Since Tracy lives about 5 miles from the Salmon River in Connecticut, we go there when I visit. I hope to get out and fish some of the other rivers soon as my Saturday class ends.

Yesterday after work I drove up to Oakland and fished the Ramapo behind the recreational complex. I got 4 browns there and then headed up to the Reservation were I caught 2 more and lost 2 others. All were on brown roostertails and Berkeley Gulp worms.

For the fly fishermen: I watched a fairly active spinner fall just around dark with several trout rising to the occasion. There were some large sulphers coming up off the river as well some blue winged olives. Also worthy of tell was an interesting little saga that I noticed. There was a stick coming out of the water about 2 feet from the bank and it seemed to be moving oddly in the water. There was something swirling underneath it and occasionally sipping the surface. Turns out as I got closer the stick was covered in black ants and there were several trout that seemed to be deliberately swimming into the branch as to knock the ants into the water to eat them. It was really cool to watch.

5 comments:

  1. Hi everyone there is a known issue with blogger when posting comments embedded under each post. They are currently investigating this and I will adjust the comments back to post page when it is solved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This posting problem also seems to affect the full page comment form as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good one babe! I could only imagine what was really going through your head!

    ReplyDelete
  4. !@#$% This is what was going thru my head!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should put that word in the dictionary!

    ReplyDelete